geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Vote: Remove old deployer, rename new deployer
Date Mon, 08 Nov 2004 05:15:47 GMT
On Nov 7, 2004, at 7:01 AM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Gianny Damour wrote:
>> +1
>>
>> As an aside, the new deployer can not distribute unpacked modules. Is
>> it
>> intentional?
>
> 	JSR-88 doesn't support unpacked modules.  If you like, we could
> assume any directory is an unpacked module, JAR it, distribute the JAR,
> then delete the JAR.  To be slightly fancier would could check for one
> of
> the standard DDs in the correct location before making that
> assumption...

God I hope not.  I spend a long long long time making sure our code
would work with unpacked archives.  People don't want to jar up a
deployment during development.  Having the tool jar it up, is a bit
better than no support at all, but the extra coping is unbearable when
dealing with a large web app (100 MB).  I actually hope we soon will
have support unpacked in place deployment, which involves no coping to
the config store.

-dain

--
Dain Sundstrom