geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr <g...@4quarters.com>
Subject Re: SVN Branches
Date Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:31:54 GMT

On Nov 4, 2004, at 4:09 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2004, at 3:51 PM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>

>> On Nov 4, 2004, at 3:45 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>>
>>> It is covered in the subversion book http://svnbook.red-bean.com/
>>>
>>> Can understand why you would want to branch for security, but I
>>> think you should keep working on your deployment stuff in the main
>>> trunk.
>>
>> If it's easy to fold back in, why not do in a branch?  There's
>> clearly a difference of opinion here, one in which both sides feel
>> pretty strongly.  Out of respect and courtesy, why not do in a branch
>> if the downside costs of having to bring it back to trunk are so low?
>
> If there are differences they should be aired on this list.  I see
> this as a back channel to not have Aaron implement a feature everyone
> liked except Jeremy.

They are being aired on the list.  Doing the code in a branch (which
seems to have no real extra cost) is also as transparent as can be.
With no added work, with everything in public, how is this a "back
channel", and how would this prevent, discourage or otherwise influence
Aaron to not implement anything he wishes?

>> It's rather traditional in some other projects I've been in to
>> demonstrate contrary ideas in a way that guarantees good exposure to
>> the community, with little disruption.
>
> For a stable project that is not under active development, I
> understand, but everything in geronimo is changing quickly.  Should I
> have implemented disabled gbeans in another branch?  Should Alan
> implement CORBA in a branch?  Since this is the first time for someone
> to branch, I suspicious of the motivations.

You might then suggest what my motivations would be for trying to
diffuse this in a way that everything can be done in the open.

geir

geir@gluecode.com