geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "David Farb" <dmf...@chicagonet.net>
Subject [BULK] Re: Logging problems
Date Tue, 09 Nov 2004 15:24:47 GMT
Jeremy Boynes wrote:
> We would need to provide a solution though for things that aren't
> GBeans. Perhaps a way that a GBean could create a "child" logger of
the
> one it had that it could inject into other things and recursively
down?

One of the benefits of the current scheme is that each class, whether it
 is a GBean or not, can have its logging level controlled individually.
If all classes used in a GBean are controlled by the same logger, what
happens to instances of classes shared by several GBeans? E.g. How do
you control logging of o.a.g.security.ContextManager (assuming it had a
log and you wanted to control it)?

If the GBean controls logging, and only diagnostics from some non-GBean
instance is wanted, is the only choice to get diagnostics from
everything that GBean uses?

For example, how would the logging in
o.a.g.network.protocol.SocketProtocol be done? This class creats a new,
controllable, log for each instance. And it is NOT a GBean.