geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject RE: Geronimo Schema Versioning
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 14:33:36 GMT
Sandip,
	I don't think Alan is saying that the schemas shouldn't have a
version in their name.  I think he's saying that there doesn't need to be
a separate "version" attribute *on top of* the version numbers in the
schema names.  That's certainly what I'm saying, in any case.  I think
having the separate "version" attribute directly contradicts your points
below:

 1. It obfuscates the versions that are being used.  You can use a
    "version" tag incompatible with the schema versions.  What does that
    mean?

 2. It adds extra steps to changing your deployment plans

 3. It has no effect on older versions, since Geronimo will most likely
    operate using the correct schema version, so having another version on
    top of that doesn't really add any new information.

Aaron