geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Please Vote: 1 deployment tool or 2?
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 02:44:41 GMT
	I only got one vote on this, and it wasn't from a committer.
Please everyone take a look and send along your vote.

Thanks,
	Aaron

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 14:46:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Aaron Mulder <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu>
To: dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: Vote: 1 deployment tool or 2?

	It looks like we'd like to have a command-line deployment tool
with JSR-88 features.  This would be aimed at providing hot deploy and
start/stop and other JSR-88 features, as well as operating on remote
servers.  It could use the same logic as the Maven plugin or otherwise,
I'm not concerned about the implementation yet.  The question is:

 [  ] Add these features to the existing bin/deployer.jar tool
 [  ] Create a new bin/xyz.jar tool with only these features, so we
      have an "offline" deployer and a "JSR-88" or "J2EE" deployer.

	The advantage to the unified tool is that you'd have one deployer
tool for any scenario.  One command to remember, etc.

	There are a couple advantages to having separate tools:

 * If combined into one tool, the help would need to be rewritten to make
   the 2 usage modes clear.  For example, JSR-88 can't handle creating a
   CAR or executable/classPath information, while the current deployer
   can't handle start/stop/undeploy/etc.  Also there would need to be
   substantial syntax checking to avoid mixing parameters from different
   modes.  It seems unfortunate that a lot of the command line arguments
   would clash with each other.

 * The code for a unified tool would need to decide how to operate based
   on the mode, and some operations (install/distribute) would need two
   code paths for the same operation, making it harder to have clean code.

 * The JSR-88 features of a combined tool might work against other servers
   (given an appropriate plugin), but the other features would not, which
   would also need to be clarified.

 * The current deploy tool would not depend on JSR-88, making it possible
   to have a more compact Geronimo distribution with a functional
   deployer, granted without remote deploy or other JSR-88 features.

	Anyway, please vote.

Thanks,
	Aaron