geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Default Assembly Size
Date Fri, 15 Oct 2004 03:15:41 GMT
	geronimo-spec-j2ee-1.4-SNAPSHOT.jar contains the Axis
implementation of the SAAJ API, which instantiates an Axis MessageFactory
when you try to use SAAJ in Geronimo.  You get an exception if you do
that, because Axis and commons-discovery aren't in the CLASSPATH.
	I added them to my repository/axis/jars to test with, and added
those to the dependencies of my module, and that works fine.

	I'm wondering about our assumbly policy.  I'd like to go ahead and
have the default modules/assembly/target/geronimo-... include Axis and
commons-discovery, because I'd rather have more there and let people strip
out what they don't want rather than have less there and try to get end
users to manually install bits of Geronimo (and the stuff required by
Geronimo modules and so no) into their repository on their own.

	Is that OK?  Alan seemed to be arguing for a smaller default
assembly on IRC the other day.  Do we vote for compact or functional?  :)

Thanks,
	Aaron