geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Deploying a Data Source
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2004 01:30:36 GMT
On Sat, 2 Oct 2004, David Jencks wrote:
> They should be deployed once in the server, they are used in ejb timers.

	Okay, but as I understand it, the default configuration will not
start the default database (just o/a/g/Server).  I created a new
database target, so if I leave that stuff out, does that mean the timers
will break?  I guess I don't need it since I don't have a DB table for the
timers anyway.  :)

> We don't use a global jndi namespace internally.  The ger: namespace is
> there only for people who won't follow the j2ee instructions:-) which
> clearly state that you can only look up stuff in java:comp/env from
> within a j2ee component.

	Then I'm confused by what the "global-jndi-name" value does in the
tranql configuration.

> Stuff that goes into the java:comp/env context does not refer to
> anything in any other jndi binding or context.  My reading of the spec
> is that resource-env-ref can only refer to jms queues or topics, now a
> subset of what message-destination-refs can refer to.  In any case,
> right now, if you want to get a datasource, you need to use a
> resource-ref.

	Okay, I can see that 20.6.1.1 of EJB 2.1 does seem to read that
way.  I had remembered it being more vague.  In any case, with the
resource-ref and the getXAResources fix, I'm now deploying exception-free
-- time to see if my application code actually works as expected.  :)

Aaron