geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <dblev...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Axis module review
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:24:19 GMT

On Oct 28, 2004, at 11:52 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> My understanding of web services is that messages can be sent to
> either servlets or ejbs.  (Apparently the servlets aren't "Servlet"
> implementations, but are usually wrapped in one).  We need a gbean to
> be deployed for each such servlet and each such ejb.  At the moment I
> think the best approach is to have a WSServletBuilder and a
> WSEJBBuilder that will actually build the gbeans.  These, especially
> the WSEJBBuilder, would be similar to the openejb
> SessionConfigBuilder.

Not just similar to but the same as--one session bean can have all of
the following interfaces:
   - Local
   - Remote
   - ServiceEndpoint

All of which can have transaction attributes associated with them.  The
ServiceEndpoint interface can even be invoked directly by EJBs,
Servlets, or App Clients through declaring it as a service-ref and
looking a it up through JNDI.  Any invocations on the ServiceEndpoint
interface go through JAX-RPC.

Aside from JAX-RPC/ServiceEndpoint invocations, people can invoke the
session bean through SOAP/WSDL over HTTP or HTTPS.  In this case there
is a mapping from WSDL to the ServiceEndpoint interface.

All in all, this is not very different from the CORBA integration which
also supports Java and non-Java clients through IIOP.  In this case we
use SOAP instead of IIOP,  ServiceEndpoint/JAX-RPC instead of
Remote/RMI-IIOP, WSDL-to-Java mapping instead of IDL-to-Java mapping,
and Axis instead of an ORB.

-David