geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From jastrac...@mac.com
Subject Re: Questions on Geronimo clustering support
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 07:04:27 GMT
On 5 Oct 2004, at 04:46, sissonj@insession.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get a feel for how EJB/JNDI clustering will be
> implemented
> in Geronimo and when it might be implemented.
>
> I remember reading somewhere in the mail archives that the clustering
> module in Geronimo has been abandoned and that ActiveCluster will be
> used.

There are various technologies and techniques which can be classified
under the generic term 'clustering'. Its certainly not on Geronimo's
agenda AFAIK to develop a replicated JNDI solution - though the
Directory project at Apache is doing something like that - but I'd call
that a replicated JNDI rather than a 'clustered' JNDI.

ActiveCluster is a simple & low level API to clusters of nodes and
supports cluster-wide and point to point messaging abstractions. So its
an ideal low level abstraction for builiding a model of which nodes are
available and allocating work among a cluster, implementing
master/slave or electing a leader, implementing a distributed lock
manager etc. So its a fairly low level library that some distributed
algorithm can use.

> Is EJB/JNDI clustering planned to be supported in the Geronimo 1.0
> release
> or is this non-essential functionality that will be in a later release?

Not sure on that one :). I guess it'll be integrated when its ready.

> Is the WADI project planning on providing EJB Tier clustering in
> addition
> to  Web Tier clustering?

Yes.

So WADI is a higher level protocol & framework for implementing web and
EJB based clustering, fail-over, session migration etc. Its based on
top of ActiveCluster.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/