geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <djen...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Deploying a Data Source
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:59:18 GMT

On Oct 2, 2004, at 5:34 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> 	The example I'm looking at has a couple of MBeans --

GBeans
>  two thread
> pool timers.  Do those need to be in there?  What are they?

They should be deployed once in the server, they are used in ejb timers.

>  It also has
> dependencies on some commons libs with some kind of substitution
> variables
> for the version numbers.  Do I need the dependencies, and if so I
> guess I
> need to put in the actual version numbers -- they're interpreted by
> Ant of
> Maven at build time, not by Geronimo at deployment time, right?

These are the driver jar and the jars needed by the driver.  That way
you can use the tranql jca-jdbc adapter without repacking it for your
driver.  Use the actual version numbers unless you modify assembly to
deploy your plan:-). I recommend using maven to deploy your plan, in
which case you can use a <repository>true</repository> property to get
maven/geronimo-maven-plugin to put the dependencies in the geronimo
repo for you. (hope I remembered the tag name correctly)

> 	Also, I would have thought the jetty DD needed namespaces on the
> resource-env-ref elements, since the jetty stuff is from a geronimo
> jetty
> namespace and the resource-env-ref stuff is from a geronimo naming
> namespace.  Am I wrong about that?

too many meanings for namespace:-).  You can put the xml namespace in
your plan if you want (I think) but there is some magic xml
manipulation going on behind the scenes so you don't need to: it gets
converted on the fly to the correct namespace.

> 	Finally, in order to use a different vendor's JDBC driver, do I
> need to put the JAR in the repository/ directory and add a dependency
> the geronimo-ra.xml?
yes.  As I mentioned above, I like to use maven for this.

> 	Oh, and in response to David J, I thought a resource-env-ref was
> used to refer to anything that was already in the server's JNDI space.
> Since deploying the RA should put the DB pool in the JNDI space, I
> think I
> can use a resource-env-ref in the WAR to map the global DB pool entry
> to a
> local java:comp/env location.  I though resource-refs were only
> necessary
> for things that weren't already present in the server's global JNDI
> space
> somewhere.
We don't use a global jndi namespace internally.  The ger: namespace is
there only for people who won't follow the j2ee instructions:-) which
clearly state that you can only look up stuff in java:comp/env from
within a j2ee component.   Stuff that goes into the java:comp/env
context does not refer to anything in any other jndi binding or
context.  My reading of the spec is that resource-env-ref can only
refer to jms queues or topics, now a subset of what
message-destination-refs can refer to.  In any case, right now, if you
want to get a datasource, you need to use a resource-ref.

<from other email>
	Also, should target-name be the "name" of the
"connectiondefinition-instance", or the "global-jndi-name", or the
"configId" of the connector, or what?

the "name" of the connectiondefinition-instance

thanks
david jencks