geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo-358: Remote Deployment
Date Sat, 23 Oct 2004 17:42:52 GMT
I think we need to be careful here to avoid overloading JSR-88.

The problem with JSR-88 is that is requires a running server to to
anything useful; the restrictions on the client environment prevent you
doing any work in the provider itself.

On the other hand, we need a standalone deployer that can work without
booting the server.

If the server is running we already have a JSR-88 provider which can use
it. It talks at a low level to the server (JMX remoting) so that you can
use it to redeploy higher level components such as the web container.
The downside is that the module must be local (as sending jar files by
value over RMI seemed like a bad idea).

I think the servlet approach is the way to go for transport and I
already have a start on stuff for that.

We have already been down the path of multiple DM implementations (or
multiple backends to a DM decorator) and that did not prove very effective.

Current thinking is:
* (existing) standalone deployer that boots the deployment config
   in memory and handles all module types (J2EE and non-J2EE)

* (existing) in-server deployer that handles all module types from
   local storage and which is exposed over JMX-remoting

* (existing) JSR-88 provider which proxies calls to the
   in-server deployer for same-server deployment of J2EE modules

* (new) JSR-88 provider that works in conjuction with a servlet to
    remotely deploy J2EE modules; it should be able to spool the
    archive to the ConfigurationStore and work in-situ

* (existing) maven plugin for JSR-88 deployment

* (new) ant plugin for JSR-88 deployment

* (new) command line tool for JSR-88 deployment; could be a standalone
   tool but making it an extension of the current standalone deployer
   seems friendlier to users (as there is just one command-line tool)

I think there is a lot of overlap here with what you propose and suggest
we discuss futher before you get too far coding.

--
Jeremy

PS I don't hink the tool should discover the server by magic - if you
are going to connect to one then you should specify URL, username and
password on the command line (or in some way anyway)