geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <fer...@frii.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo Schema Versioning
Date Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:06:17 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> All,
> 	I suggest we add the "Geronimo version number" to our schema file
> names and namespaces.  For example, a Geronimo Jetty header currently
> looks like this:
>
> <web-app
>     xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/web/jetty"
>     xmlns:naming="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming"
>     configId="..." parentId="...">
>
> 	And I'm thinking it ought to be more like this:
>
> <web-app
>     xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/web/jetty_1_0"
>     xmlns:naming="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/naming_1_0"
>     configId="..."  parentId="..." >
>
> 	Or else like this:
>
> <web-app
>     xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/1.0/web/jetty"
>     xmlns:naming="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/1.0/naming"
>     configId="..."  parentId="..." >
>
> 	I'm thinking 2 or 3 release down the road, when we'll want to be
> able to look at a deployment plan and identify which release it was
> developed against, since the deployment plan format will surely change as
> we go.  It will also let us put the Schemas on our web site and there
> would be a more obvious correspondance between the namespace and the
> schema location.

I concur with Aaron and I vote for option number three with one
addition. IMO, I think that we should add the schema version attribute
like so:

   <web-app
       xmlns="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/1.0/web/jetty"
       xmlns:naming="http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/1.0/naming"
       configId="..."  parentId="..."
       version="1.0">

I also have one question for you, Aaron. Should the directory name and
the schema version atribute follow the Geronimo version? I would argue
that it should so that we don't wind up with Geronimo at, say, version
2.3 and the schema version attribute and the directory at, say, version
4.1. Keeping these items in sync with the overall Geronimo version will
save a lot of trouble in the long run.

Bruce
--
perl -e 'print