geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: JSTL Broken
Date Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:53:56 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	So our JettyClassLoader denies any requests starting with "javax".
> Unfortunately, this appears to break the JSTL, which includes a JAR with
> javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.* packages.  That breaks Spring, which is blowing
> up trying to load the LocalizationContext class from the JSTL when you use
> a JSTL view for Spring.
>
> 	I guess we need to include the JSTL classes as part of Geronimo?
> In the mean time, I'm going to disable the "javax" restriction, so I can
> continue to package it in my WAR.

SRV.9.7.2 basically says we should not allow applications to override
things in the java.* and javax.* namespaces. On other hand, JSTL is not
an API required by the spec.

I think that we are being too conservative here. Better logic might be
to search for java and container classes in the parent classloader first
and the war second, and all other classes in the war first and the
parent second.

This would prevent the war overriding container classes but would still
it to use versions it supplied if the container did not have them.

---
Jeremy