geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: JavaMail API
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2004 18:23:15 GMT
David Jencks wrote:
> If I remember the discussions correctly, it is in the sandbox because it
> is incomplete, is not currently spec compliant, and the javamail api is
> not well separated from implementing javamail itself, so you would
> essentially have to implement all of the javamail functionality  to make
> it usable.  I could be wrong on this, I haven't looked into these issues
> myself.  I'm sure if you finish it up everyone will be thrilled.

There are also concerns about whether this API can actually be
implemented from the specification - there are a lot of concrete classes
  in the API whose behaviour may not be sufficiently documented. I
remember extensive discussions last year on the correctness of "equals"
vs. what the RI actually does.

On the other hand, we have to have an implementation of both the
JavaMail and Activation APIs and we cannot redistribute Sun's due to
licensing restrictions. Perhaps the time as come to finish this work,
run it through the CTS and then work with Sun to clarify the Specifications.

Another issue is that the JAXR specification depends on Activation so
procuding its spec API will have a dependency issue.

I'd say let's move these back out of the sandbox and get going.

--
Jeremy