geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: Frontend tools
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2004 19:17:44 GMT
Aaron Mulder wrote:
> 	I know the main developer of MC4J, a cool (Swing-based) JMX
> management console -- check out the screen shots and stuff.  (His name is
> Greg Hinkle)  I hope to get Greg on board with Geronimo.  If so, and if
> that project continues to use (what is essentially) the Mozilla Public
> License, would we be able to distribute it as part of Geronimo?  He's got
> modules in there for a number of app servers, and he said he's working on
> more direct JSR-77 support, so it seems like a good fit.
>
> Aaron
>
> http://mc4j.sourceforge.net/

I used MC4J back in Geronimo's early days to debug GBeans and thought it
was a good front-end to JMX. I would certainly support a module for
Geronimo and I would assume that can be Apache licensed (i.e. comes with
Geronimo rather than MC4J).

Since then we have also added support for JSR-160 JMX remoting so
presumably it can connect using that.

The concern I have is that just exposing every MBean will not lead to a
user-friendly solution - there is just too much detail. Instead, I think
we need to define a higher level information model so the console can be
a little smarter.

For example, rather than messing around with Connector stuff, the user
should just be able to say "I want to connect to a database" and be lead
through that process by some sort of wizard.

--
Jeremy