geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Axis module review
Date Fri, 29 Oct 2004 05:23:23 GMT
Hi All,

I was just reviewing the code in the Axis module and noticed some
things that are considered no-nos or bad practice with the Geronimo
architecture.  This is our fault for not reviewing the code sooner.

Let me try and make up for this lack of feedback.

The code as it is now won't run with any of the existing
configurations as it assumes it has kernel-level control over the
server.  This could be cleared up by implementing the following
things:

 -- Remove all references to Kernel
 -- Remove reference to MBeanServer
 -- Remove all hard-coded object names

There are a couple places in Geronimo that user kernel references, but
this sort of thing is done as a last resort as it fundamentally breaks
the Geronimo IoC architecture.  We know where they are and feel dirty
about them.

Usage of MBeanServer is strictly forbidden.  This looks easy to clean
up as the one reference in the code doesn't appear to be used
anywhere.

Hard coding object names is also forbidden.  The result of hard coding
the object names is that an expected configurations is frozen in the
code and removes the ability to use plans to configure a Geronimo
system and the layout of the GBeans it that system.

Hope this helps get the module working.

-David