geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Using entities to manage dependency versions
Date Sun, 17 Oct 2004 20:05:26 GMT
On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 13:26, David Jencks wrote:
> I am not an expert on this, but it might be worth checking again since
> only last week we moved from loading global.properties as ant
> properties to loading them as maven properties.  If I understand
> Jason's post correctly this would be a prerequisite for his recommended
> methods working.

If you moved the properties into a project.properties file then using
the JAR override or properties should work.

This will be a question on a future survey, but one I'll ask now:

For managing dependency versions across an entire project what would you
like to see as the default mechanism?

I am obviously biased toward the JAR override as this is what I've been
using for a long while and initially implemented it to take care of a
large build like yours. One reason in particular I did it was so that I
could experiment with different versions of things in an isolated build
by turning of the JAR override but when doing reactored builds I would
turn it on and know exactly what version would be used across the board.
So this is really a question of how things would work in the future but
I would like to garner some feedback now if possible.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@maven.org