geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jason van Zyl <jvan...@maven.org>
Subject Re: Using entities to manage dependency versions
Date Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:56:41 GMT
On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 12:00, Bruce Snyder wrote:
> Jason van Zyl wrote:

> The main reason I began using the entity solution was because I could
> not get the property inheritance working at all. However, upon further
> investigation by my friend Jeff Genender, it appears that all the
> properties I had specified when trying to get inheritance working
> contained a hyphen. Evidently Maven tries to do arithmetic on anything
> with a hyphen.

Yah, that's Jexl and there's not much that can be done about that in m1.
Jelly and Jexl went in the dust bin for m2. They are just too quirky and
generally unreliable, but gotta live with them in m1.

> If I replace the hyphen in the property names with an
> underscore, property inheritance works like it should. Unfortunately it
> took a *lot* of experimentation to figure this out. This *really,
> really* should be documented on the Maven site. This subtlty hung me up
> for quite a long while. Having had this documented in the Maven FAQ is a
> good start. Of course, I haven't looked at the Maven docs lately, maybe
> it's already there.
>
> BTW, I have used the maven.jar.override property in the past, but only
> to point to jars in a project's lib directory.

Yah, I've typically only used it for specifying dependency versions. But
I added the path pointer for the commons builds a long, long time ago.

> Thanks for chiming in on this, Jason.

No problem. Like I said before, I'm working pretty much entirely on m2
but I will help with this particular issue because I want native
mechanisms to be used and I don't believe entities are required at all
to do this sort of thing. It was required at one point but not any
longer.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl