geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JavaMail API
Date Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:41:33 GMT

On Oct 9, 2004, at 11:23 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> If I remember the discussions correctly, it is in the sandbox because
>> it is incomplete, is not currently spec compliant, and the javamail
>> api is not well separated from implementing javamail itself, so you
>> would essentially have to implement all of the javamail functionality
>>  to make it usable.  I could be wrong on this, I haven't looked into
>> these issues myself.  I'm sure if you finish it up everyone will be
>> thrilled.
>
> There are also concerns about whether this API can actually be
> implemented from the specification - there are a lot of concrete
> classes  in the API whose behaviour may not be sufficiently
> documented. I remember extensive discussions last year on the
> correctness of "equals" vs. what the RI actually does.
>
> On the other hand, we have to have an implementation of both the
> JavaMail and Activation APIs and we cannot redistribute Sun's due to
> licensing restrictions. Perhaps the time as come to finish this work,
> run it through the CTS and then work with Sun to clarify the
> Specifications.
>
> Another issue is that the JAXR specification depends on Activation so
> procuding its spec API will have a dependency issue.
>
> I'd say let's move these back out of the sandbox and get going.

I'll be happy to take these on as my own and get started.  I can use
this to help work the JavaMail issue with Sun.  I've been working on
that for a while, and I think the licensing change is hopeless at this
point, being that the removal of indemnification is probably
impossible.

However, there is possible strategy that worked with JAXP, and that is
to not have them totally 'hand over' the software, but instead give us
a copy to be the core of our 'independent implementation'.  That way,
they keep the RI, are "the source" for the technology, and we get a
functional copy to keep going with.

Until our version is function (or we get JavaMail and JAF from Sun),
lets do this - because this is needed for our certification testing,
and not currently for general users, lets just use the real JM and JAF
jars from sun privately on our local machines.  It's a minor pain for
those of us that care, and doesn't affect the rest of the world.

geir

geirm@apache.org