geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Mueller <pmue...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: incubator-geronimo project.xml
Date Thu, 02 Sep 2004 13:18:31 GMT
Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> dain@apache.org wrote:
>
>> dain        2004/09/01 21:31:08
>>
>>   Modified:    applications/jmxdebug project.xml
>>                applications/demo project.xml
>>                etc      version-info.ent
>>                .        project.xml
>>   Log:
>>   Changed version tags to use entity references
>

> Awesome! I really like the idea of using the entity references. I have
> seen it the first time in OpenEJB2 (I guess it was Dave who made the
> changes) and I was deeply entertained.

I like using entity references also.  Except that they require you use a
REAL XML parser to 'expand' them.  I've been burned on this kind of
thing way too many times, with folks using either lamo parsers or even
just regex's to read XML files.  I gave up.

Although ... one thing I have done is to make use of Ant's replace bits
to sort of simulate this.  Keep a 'template' with a 'macro' in it in
some kind of a template directory, then generate the real file from the
template and a value for the macros.  Not as dynamic as using entities,
but it solves the problem of people reading my files with lamo parsers.

--
Patrick Mueller
pmuellr@yahoo.com