geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Using Subversion to manage change while preserving stability.
Date Sun, 12 Sep 2004 22:30:00 GMT
Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> I would like to propose a moratorium on any changes to our
> infrastructure or our maven "architecture" until we have
> passed the TCK.

On the technical front, you can change how you are doing development, now
that you are using Subversion.  You can create a branch for the testing, or
for experimenting, or for preparing a release, and work out of there.  You
can even go so far as to have branches/{alan,dain,jeremy,...} if you were so
included.  The point is that you can WORK in source control, not just check
things in when you have something finished and tested.  You can do this
without stepping on each other, and have easy merges between branches.

For example, you can create a branch for managing the next release.  The
Release Manager can decide what goes in or not, and merge things from other
branches as desired.  No matter how much restructuring goes on in trunk or
someone else's branch, it won't effect that release branch.

	--- Noel