geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject What's missing for Tomcat integration?
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 13:45:28 GMT

Hi,
After a bit of talking with Geir regarding the 1.0 M2 release still not
supporting Tomcat, I thought I'd jump in and ask: what's missing for
Tomcat integration, and how can I help?

I've gone over the archives, but there's nothing significant on this
matter since I raised this issue last March (thread titled "Does
Geronimo use tomcat?" in the archives).  Incidentally, in that thread N.
Alex Rupp also said he was working on articles in this area
(http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=108015237832228&w=2).
I've yet to see them: have they been published somewhere?  I've read his
articles/blogs on the MVC pattern, the servlet antipattern, and how
Tomcat is similar to the Irish Elk, but I haven't seen anything
addressing what the problems were in integrating Tomcat into Geronimo.

Anyways, since then I see Geronimo has evolved, getting closer to a
release.  So has Tomcat, including the (presumably) relevant area of JMX
and JSR77 compliance.  So I'd like an updated list of what's missing,
what needs to be done, in order for Geronimo to accept Tomcat as
easily/natively as it does Jetty.

That should be a good start, and it's a pretty good time as far as
Tomcat is concerned to make some tweaks, with the 5.5 branch still in
very active development.

By the way, this is no slight of offense to Jetty or any of its
developers.  It's a good product and I have no problems with it.  I'm
looking to improve both Tomcat and Geronimo with this effort.

And a good weekend to all ;)

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics