geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From jastrac...@mac.com
Subject Re: clustering module
Date Thu, 09 Sep 2004 16:44:57 GMT
On 9 Sep 2004, at 13:21, John Woolsey wrote:
> Isn't the standard way to implement clustering to implement a
> clustered JMS and then make everything else rely on that?

Kind of yes.

FWIW we've an Apache 2.0  licensed clustered JMS here...

http://activemq.codehaus.org/

which supports auto-discovering clusters of clients & message brokers
and a variety of clustering options...

http://activemq.codehaus.org/Clustering?refresh=1

> Also for a clustering implementation. Let's say I have information on
> Server A and I want to ensure it is clustered so I send it to server
> B. Is a standard implementation to fire it over a socket and wait for
> receipt confirmation and then move on or are people generally more
> sophisticated then that?

Its kind of a long story, but the short answer is, we're more
sophisticated than that. Here's how distributed queues / topics work in
ActiveMQ...

http://activemq.codehaus.org/How+do+distributed+queues+work?refresh=1
http://activemq.codehaus.org/Networks+of+Brokers?refresh=1

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> That module has basically been abandoned.  I expect us to use
>> ActiveCluser for the clustering.

Agreed.

We're already starting to use ActiveCluster as a way to discover &
connect ActiveMQ message brokers to form a cluster of clients and
brokers with HA. Also WADI - the clustered session state project - uses
ActiveCluster as its discovery, communication and cluster protocol
abstraction...

http://wadi.codehaus.org/

James
-------