geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <dsundst...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: how to change the default jetty port in the M2 download?
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:11:55 GMT
On Sep 13, 2004, at 12:23 PM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>
>> Do you honestly think a newbie will be able to understand, download a
>> plan, modify this, deploy it, and then start it? Now the augment to
>> have a properties file works for me, but deploying a plan seems like
>> one step too many.
>
> People seem to manage quite well for WebLogic, JBoss, Tomcat, ... Of
> course, it would have helped if we hadn't removed the plans from the
> assembly at some point.

Except that is not what JBoss for one is doing.  The jboss.xml file is
the equivalent geronimo config-store (well actually the jboss deploy
directory is).  If someone wants to change something on jboss they just
modify the jboss file and restart the server.  In the case of the
deploy directory they modify the deployed file and jboss automatically
detects a change, drops the current running configuration, and
deploys/starts the new one.

> I remain opposed to properties files - WebLogic used to work that way
> (up to V5 IIRC) and they dropped that approach because it was
> unmanageable.

All they did was to convert the properties file to the config.xml
file.... same thing different format.

http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs81/config_xml/overview.html

-dain