geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: What's missing for Tomcat integration?
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 20:02:56 GMT

On Sep 10, 2004, at 9:45 AM, Shapira, Yoav wrote:

> Hi,
> After a bit of talking with Geir regarding the 1.0 M2 release still not
> supporting Tomcat, I thought I'd jump in and ask: what's missing for
> Tomcat integration, and how can I help?

Yoav - thanks for coming!

> I've gone over the archives, but there's nothing significant on this
> matter since I raised this issue last March (thread titled "Does
> Geronimo use tomcat?" in the archives).  Incidentally, in that thread
> N.
> Alex Rupp also said he was working on articles in this area
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=108015237832228&w=2).
> I've yet to see them: have they been published somewhere?  I've read
> his
> articles/blogs on the MVC pattern, the servlet antipattern, and how
> Tomcat is similar to the Irish Elk, but I haven't seen anything
> addressing what the problems were in integrating Tomcat into Geronimo.
>
> Anyways, since then I see Geronimo has evolved, getting closer to a
> release.  So has Tomcat, including the (presumably) relevant area of
> JMX
> and JSR77 compliance.  So I'd like an updated list of what's missing,
> what needs to be done, in order for Geronimo to accept Tomcat as
> easily/natively as it does Jetty.
>
> That should be a good start, and it's a pretty good time as far as
> Tomcat is concerned to make some tweaks, with the 5.5 branch still in
> very active development.

THis is great.  I think that while our goal is perfect integration, I
think getting it working - not perfectly integrated, but working - is
an excellent first step.  It will give us feedback about what we need
in Geronimo to help Tomcat integrate, and what Tomcat needs to do to
become more integratable. (integrable?)

geir

geir@4quarters.com