geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@gluecode.com>
Subject Refactoring Deployment
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 23:56:57 GMT
One thing we have talked about in the past is the problem with having
deployment classes in each module - for example, having the connector
deployer in the connector module. The issue here is that due to
classloader dependencies, the deployment code needs to end up in the
Server module so that it can interact with the deployers in each module.

The proposed solution to this was to split each deployable module into
two - a runtime module that contained everything needed to execute the
components (e.g. the servlet or ejb containers) and another which
contained the deployment code. This way we could have separate runtime
and deployment configurations.

With Tomcat coming up to speed we will be adding another deployer so I
think this would be a good time to do that refactoring - any thoughts?

--
Jeremy