geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <jlaskow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Questions on OpenEJB, Castor and TranQL in Geronimo
Date Wed, 15 Sep 2004 12:18:25 GMT
sissonj@insession.com wrote:

> Hi,

Let me answer the questions I *think* I know the answers to :)

> I am trying to get a better understanding of database support in
> Geronimo (and its components) and have a number of questions:
>
> * The page http://openejb.codehaus.org/about.html indicates that OpenEJB
> provides EJB1.1 compatibility, but on the page
> http://openejb.codehaus.org/cvs.html it indicates that the version of
> OpenEJB for Geronimo has EJB 2.x support.

This is because there're two versions of OpenEJB, the one being
integrated with Geronimo - it's OpenEJB2, and the one that has some nice
features like Tomcat integration with (only) EJB 1.1 + Local interfaces
support - it's OpenEJB1.

Only OpenEJB2 will support EJB 2.x and more.

> * Whilst trying to get a picture of the current state of OpenEJB,  I
> noticed that there are JIRA issues for OpenEJB on both the Geronimo and
> the http://openejb.codehaus.org/ site.
>    When is each site used for raising issues? (e.g. is the Geronimo JIRA
> database only used to record OpenEJB problems that impact integration of
> OpenEJB into Geronimo or passing TCK tests)?

As a OpenEJB committer I can say I treat these two JIRA repos as
dictinct: one for OpenEJB2 (it's the JIRA installation hosted at
Apache.org) and the another for OpenEJB1 hosted at CodeHaus.org.

So, issues shown while working with Geronimo (and OpenEJB2) are going to
  JIRA at Apache.org, whereas with OpenEJB1 (which is not expected to
work with Geronimo) to JIRA at CodeHaus.org.

> * Geronimo uses Castor version 0.9.3.9, which is dated December 11,
> 2001.  Is there a reason why more recent versions are not used? (
> http://www.castor.org/changelog.html )

I don't know about any. I also think you're talking about OpenEJB2 (or
even OpenEJB1), weren't you? If so, that's been overlooked. It seems
that noone noticed Castor upgrade and it didn't go to OpenEJB.

> * If I want to use Geronimo with a proprietary database that has a JDBC
> driver, is Castor the only library that may need modification to work
> with the proprietary database?  What about TranQL?

Well, I'm confused. I don't think Castor is used in Geronimo, but
OpenEJB. I might have missed something :( As far as TranQL goes, I
thought, it's used for CMPs. JDBC drivers are handled by openejb-jca
wrapper, but wouldn't cound on the information.

I've got so many questions while answering yours that I'd strongly
recommend to forget what you've just read and wait for others to answer
it correctly ;)

> John Sisson

Jacek