geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <>
Subject Re: What's missing for Tomcat integration?
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:25:13 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:

> Hi,
> After a bit of talking with Geir regarding the 1.0 M2 release still not
> supporting Tomcat, I thought I'd jump in and ask: what's missing for
> Tomcat integration, and how can I help?

Just getting it running would be a good place to start. That should be a
fairly simple GBean that starts an embedded server within Geronimo.

 From there we can move on to closer integration. The main areas I can
think off off the top of my head are:
* ENC integration
* Transaction context
* JAAS Authentication
* JSR77
* Deployment

> That should be a good start, and it's a pretty good time as far as
> Tomcat is concerned to make some tweaks, with the 5.5 branch still in
> very active development.

AIUI TC5.5 requires JDK1.5 whereas we are targeting 1.4.2 based systems.
so that would be an issue using that branch. We are also targeting a
production release soon - my hunch would be that we would be better
integrating with the 5.0 branch as that is currently available. I'd like
to suggest we start there for a "stable" version and then work with the
Tomcat community on the 5.5 branch for new or "experimental" features.

> By the way, this is no slight of offense to Jetty or any of its
> developers.  It's a good product and I have no problems with it.  I'm
> looking to improve both Tomcat and Geronimo with this effort.

I would echo that - we've have always wanted to work with Tomcat bu
tjust never got around to it. I'd like to welcome you to our community
and look forward to getting this going.

View raw message