geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jboy...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: What's missing for Tomcat integration?
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 18:25:13 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:

> Hi,
> After a bit of talking with Geir regarding the 1.0 M2 release still not
> supporting Tomcat, I thought I'd jump in and ask: what's missing for
> Tomcat integration, and how can I help?

Just getting it running would be a good place to start. That should be a
fairly simple GBean that starts an embedded server within Geronimo.

 From there we can move on to closer integration. The main areas I can
think off off the top of my head are:
* ENC integration
* Transaction context
* JAAS Authentication
* JACC
* JSR77
* Deployment

> That should be a good start, and it's a pretty good time as far as
> Tomcat is concerned to make some tweaks, with the 5.5 branch still in
> very active development.

AIUI TC5.5 requires JDK1.5 whereas we are targeting 1.4.2 based systems.
so that would be an issue using that branch. We are also targeting a
production release soon - my hunch would be that we would be better
integrating with the 5.0 branch as that is currently available. I'd like
to suggest we start there for a "stable" version and then work with the
Tomcat community on the 5.5 branch for new or "experimental" features.

> By the way, this is no slight of offense to Jetty or any of its
> developers.  It's a good product and I have no problems with it.  I'm
> looking to improve both Tomcat and Geronimo with this effort.

I would echo that - we've have always wanted to work with Tomcat bu
tjust never got around to it. I'd like to welcome you to our community
and look forward to getting this going.

--
Jeremy