geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <jlaskow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What's missing for Tomcat integration?
Date Fri, 10 Sep 2004 14:34:28 GMT
Shapira, Yoav wrote:

> Hi,
> After a bit of talking with Geir regarding the 1.0 M2 release still not
> supporting Tomcat, I thought I'd jump in and ask: what's missing for
> Tomcat integration, and how can I help?

I sometimes see people who complain on Jetty integration in Geronimo, so
I think there're a lot of obstacles you'll need to go thru until you
reach the end. No need to worry though! I'm working on enabling a
functionality in Geronimo, that Dain said, may be easy to implement,
thus it may be me who sees toubles where they aren't ;) Anyway, I was
also wondering what is to be done to have Tomcat working in Geronimo. My
basic understanding of Geronimo architecture allows me to say it's a
matter of creating GBean with some dependencies/references and voila it
ought to be working well.

> I've gone over the archives, but there's nothing significant on this
> matter since I raised this issue last March (thread titled "Does
> Geronimo use tomcat?" in the archives).  Incidentally, in that thread N.
> Alex Rupp also said he was working on articles in this area
> (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=geronimo-dev&m=108015237832228&w=2).
> I've yet to see them: have they been published somewhere?  I've read his
> articles/blogs on the MVC pattern, the servlet antipattern, and how
> Tomcat is similar to the Irish Elk, but I haven't seen anything
> addressing what the problems were in integrating Tomcat into Geronimo.

I also haven't ever seen any takers of the subject. How come it was
overlooked? It might've been waiting for the brave soul like you :)

> Anyways, since then I see Geronimo has evolved, getting closer to a
> release.  So has Tomcat, including the (presumably) relevant area of JMX
> and JSR77 compliance.  So I'd like an updated list of what's missing,
> what needs to be done, in order for Geronimo to accept Tomcat as
> easily/natively as it does Jetty.
>
> That should be a good start, and it's a pretty good time as far as
> Tomcat is concerned to make some tweaks, with the 5.5 branch still in
> very active development.
>
> By the way, this is no slight of offense to Jetty or any of its
> developers.  It's a good product and I have no problems with it.  I'm
> looking to improve both Tomcat and Geronimo with this effort.
>
> And a good weekend to all ;)

Definitelly! However, it's the best time to finally sit down and program
stuff for Geronimo (like TomcatGBean). It'd be fun. Hmmm, gotta think
about it ;)

> Yoav Shapira

Jacek