geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <djen...@gluecode.com>
Subject Re: J2CA logging/exception handling around SQLException
Date Thu, 16 Sep 2004 23:14:29 GMT

On Sep 16, 2004, at 3:49 PM, David Blevins wrote:

> So I'm in the process of cleaning up the OpenEJB itest output as it
> spits out an excessive amount of stack traces.  The exceptions are
> just SQLExceptions that are being thrown as business method app
> exceptions.
>
> Seems any exceptions (e.g. SQLException) thrown from an RA is being
> logged on INFO by GeronimoConnectionEventListener.  Can't quite tell,
> but at first glance it looks like it flags the connection handle for
> removal as well.
>
> Is this right and is this what we really want?
At the moment this is the correct behavior.  The solution is, for each
driver, implement an "exception sorter" that  can determine if a
particular exception means the connection is no longer usable.  Then
"table doesn't exist" exceptions can be distinguished from "your db
disk just exploded".  Unfortunately the jdbc spec has not seen fit to
require drivers to distinguish these in a generic fashion.

david jencks