geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Web Services and Portlet deployment
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2004 18:24:07 GMT
I've been working a bit with portlets recently and as a result
considering how we can handle deployment of packages with auxiliary
spec-mandated deployment descriptors using jsr-88.  I find the jsr-88
spec somewhat sketchy on this and at least the portlet spec doesn't
mention jsr-88.  The current web services deployment code does not
appear at first glance to fit well into either jsr-88 deployment or the
geronimo architecture.

As I understand, web services and portlets both involve deploying a
standard j2ee package (web or ejb) that have an additional deployment
descriptor in them (web-service.xml(???) and portlet.xml).

Here's what I  think should happen:

--jsr-88 client tells geronimo to deploy package, as a standard j2ee
package.
--geronimo deployer sorts it as a standard package and hands it to the
web or ejb deployer
--web or ejb deployer recognizes the extra deployment descriptor and
hands it to the web services or portlet deployer
--specialized deployer constructs specialized ejb or servlet containers
gbeans directly (possibly in cooperation with the normal ejb/web
deployers) and adds them to the package configuration (again perhaps in
cooperation with the standard deployers)
--the specialized deployer may need to communicate some extra
information to some other service.  For example, Jetspeed2 has a
portlet registry that needs to be informed of newly deployed portlets.
Ideally this information can be communicated by including it in the
container gbean (servlet or ejb) and using gbean reference collections
to notify a registry gbean.  However, some other approach may be
necessary.

Since the openejb deployer is already constructing container gbeans for
each ejb, I would not expect that a web service-ejb deployer along
these lines to require extensive modifications to the openejb deployer.
  However, our jetty deployer currently relies on jetty to interpret the
web.xml descriptor and deploy servlets.  This has the additional
problem that servlets are not represented by gbeans, so they don't fit
in the jsr-77 framework.  I think the solution here is to extend the
geronimo-jetty deployer to construct gbeans for each servlet directly
from the web.xml, and not use the Jetty deployer at all.

Comments?

many thanks,
David Jencks