geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Unit/Stress Tests (Bite Sized Task)
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:01:57 GMT
On Aug 3, 2004, at 2:09 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

>>> That's basically a 20 minute difference with only 4.5 minutes
>>> reportedly spend on our tests.  What is taking up the other 15
>>> minutes?  Is setUp/tearDown not counted in the test time?
>>
>> If not, the zillions of kernels we create in setUp methods could
>> easily explain the difference.
>
> I would wager that the 15 minutes is spent launching the java vms.  It
> looks like on my machine that there is one vm launched for each unit
> test.  On a very small module, my test time with fork on was 30s and
> with fork off was 10s.

It occurs to me this could be just like the setContextClassLoader
permission issue in that we may be forking the test vm for no reason.

Can someone try to run the unit tests with "maven.junit.fork=true"
commented out in the etc/global.properties file?  I'm interested if
only a few tests are failing, or is most tests fail for a single simple
reason.

If we can fix this, we can all be more productive.

-dain