geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <>
Subject Re: Proposal for output of assembly module
Date Sun, 08 Aug 2004 00:13:31 GMT
On 7/08/2004 4:22 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> The assembly module doesn't conform to the maven standard action of
> producing an artifact, and its results are not in the module itself.
> Furthermore it doesn't produce an easily installable geronimo instance.
> I'd like to suggest that the assembly module should produce a zip file
> of what it builds, currently into
> target/geronimo-${pom.currentVersion}, and install it in the local
> repo as a zip artifact.
> Then we can extend the geronimo-maven plugin with a little bit of
> jelly script to unpack this zip into the target of the module using
> the plugin.  This will make it easy to get back to pristine geronimo
> installations.

I think that it would be awesome. +1.

As far as I understand, assembly is the way to build a Geronimo server
from nothing: people can only download this module and let maven pulls
the various artifacts and install a full server. Personally, I see this
module as an installation procedure via maven.

So, I do have another question: Is it possible to put the assembly
module somewhere else than nested inside modules? Perhaps that it could
be nested inside an installer project?

View raw message