geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From toby cabot <t...@caboteria.org>
Subject Re: [ot] JAXP Problems
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:42:34 GMT
On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 08:38:16AM -0400, John Woolsey wrote:
> Okay I am having trouble with JAXP. I parse through the tree and find my
> element_nodes easily. Then I go for getNodeValue and it always seems to
> be null. I am using Xerces 2 to process. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

snip...
>        Node child = childList.item(i);
>        if( child.getNodeType() == Node.ELEMENT_NODE){
>          Element element = (Element)child;
>          String name = element.getTagName();
>          NamedNodeMap namedNodeMap = element.getAttributes();
>          System.out.println( name + "  " +
> namedNodeMap.item(0).getNodeValue() );
>          result.put( name, child.getNodeValue() );

I'm not a JAXP expert, but I play one on mailing lists.  I checked the
javadoc of the Node class and it looks as if it's behaving as
documented: the nodeValue of an element node is null.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/org/w3c/dom/Node.html

see the table in the introduction.

HTH,
Toby