geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From jastrac...@mac.com
Subject Re: sandbox/messaging - your feedbacks are welcome
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:28:53 GMT
For clustering, we've been working quite heavily for some time on this
abstraction...

     http://activecluster.codehaus.org/

(Note that ActiveCluster is not Geronimo specific and so can be used to
build clusters or anything).

The current implementation works on top of any JMS provider, such as
ActiveMQ, which can work over UDP, multicast, TCP, SSL, g-network,
JGroups, JXTA etc.

Jules has been working hard on distributed session state and handling
fail-over gracefully and cluster wide topology organisation protocols
such as for arranging buddies over subnets / DR zones and the like
using WADI

     http://wadi.codehaus.org/

which is using ActiveCluster and Jules is starting to put together
various algorithms for choosing buddies, pairs, sub-nets, controllers
and the like.

Notice the simpler API for ActiveCluster which just reuses a few
interfaces from JMS.

It seems your new messaging.cluster API is pretty similar to
ActiveCluster. Any ideas why you didn't just use ActiveCluster?
(Especially as I mentioned it to you quite a while ago :)

Also, as I said to you a while ago, I don't see why the messaging
package doesn't use the JMS API for things like Msg / MsgBody /
MsgConsumer / MsgProducer and so forth. Not only would this mean your
API would become more J2EE standard, it'd mean you could reuse heaps of
open source and commercial implementations.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/