geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: Thread pool strategy
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2004 21:54:48 GMT
What I have now is a gbean that:

--interface:
you can either use Executor through the GBean calling mechanism or if
you think that is too slow get the underlying Executor itself.

--implementation
Uses a PooledExecutor with a fixed minsize = maxsize and a LinkedQueue
to put waiting requests on.  This will keep creating threads until it
is full, then put tasks on the queue and freed up threads will take
them off.  This uses standard Concurrent classes only.  As far as I can
tell any other behavior would require us to write some code, which I
would expect to contain some bugs.  Until we see an actual problem with
this strategy I'l like to leave well enough alone.  My original
question was whether anyone knew of problems we would be likely to run
into using this strategy.

I plan to modify the JCA WorkManager to use this thread pool gbean.
I'm not quite sure how thread pools are used in network/remoting, but
I'd imagine they are used as gbeans, so you can replace them with
another gbean with a different Executor configuration with no problems.

thanks
david jencks