geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Gianny Damour <gianny.dam...@optusnet.com.au>
Subject Re: ResourceAdapter.start() not getting called?
Date Sun, 11 Jul 2004 01:57:29 GMT
On 11/07/2004 5:24 AM, David Jencks wrote:

> Since it is unlikely that anyone will be running more than one
> TransactionManager/XATerminator in a geronimo server, perhaps this
> should be made a little clearer by specifying the WorkManager
> directly  in the ResourceAdapter config and constructing a
> BootstrapContext per  ResourceAdapter instance.  Opinions?

I agree. Perhaps that there is also something not so obvious - at least
for me: a BootstrapContext must reference the same XATerminator used
under the cover by the XAWork referenced by the WorkManager of this context.

The current dependencies are something like that:

TransactionManager <---- XAWork<---- WorkManager <---- BootstrapContext;

^

So, is it possible to make it "clearer" by providing to the
(Geronimo)WorkManager a TransactionManager(Proxy)? This latter still
provides an XAWork view in order to recreate resource adpater
transactions; one adds to the (Geronimo)WorkManager  a getter for this
XATerminator reference/attribute; and BootstrapContext only needs by now
a simple reference to (Geronimo)WorkManager.

This way, the dependencies could be more abvious - one more time, at
least for me:
TransactionManager <---- WorkManager <---- BootstrapContext.

By the way, as I am talking about XAWork, I think that there are some
concurrency issues: the begin and end methods should be synchronized
otherwise, it is possible to run two Work concurrently having the same
ExecutionContext.

> Also, perhaps we should adopt a naming convention for all these
> gbeans  such as
>
> geronimo.server:type=BootstrapContext,name=MyBootstrapContext

Is it possible to have a distinct domain for the JCA services? I mean
something like:
geronimo.jca:type=BootstrapContext,name=MyBootstrapContext

Moreover, one could perhaps use the naming conventions proposed by
JSR-77. For instance, a WorkManager could be name:
geronimo.jca:type=WorkManager,BootstrapContext=MyBootstrapContext

Many thanks,
Gianny