geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject RE: AW: Rushing too fast for SVN? was...Re: [VOTE] Switch to SVN
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2004 12:35:12 GMT

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > The only -ve I've found with SVN so far is the tagging. It works well
> > when I want to tag a directory, but not when I want to tag a directory
> > and a few files in the parent directory.
>
> > This would be a common thing to do when the build system inherits a
> > file from higher up, either with Ant or with Maven.
>
> By convention, you put the Trunk, Tags, Branches, directory structure where
> you have a separately versioned/releasable package.  Within that, you don't
> tag a directory or file; you tag the entire structure, e.g., a copy from
> Trunk.
>
> Can you give an illustration of the problem you perceive?

Using Jakarta Commons (at one point) as an example, let's say I'm
releasing 5.0 of Commons Lang, I'd want to tag:

jakarta-commons/lang/
jakarta-commons/commons-build/project.xml
jakarta-commons/build.xml

This became a 5 step intricate process or so for SVN and I'm not sure if I
managed to do it correctly.

It's very likely that I was just lacking in my svn-skills, but definitely
a place I felt that SVN loses to CVS simplicity.

Possibly another one would be where I don't want to release all the files.
I may want to tag jakarta-commons/io with IO_1_0 but not a couple of .java
files and one of the unit tests. I've not tried this yet in SVN, it may
work the same as cvs [remove file locally, make sure not in CVS/Entries
then local tag] but it would be another use-case I'd want to ensure SVN
can handle.

Hen