geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: dtd-based deployment descriptors
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2004 06:33:09 GMT

On Wednesday, June 16, 2004, at 05:34 PM, Noah Campbell wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Curious how you did the dtd to schema conversion?  A quick google
> search led me to a perl dtd2schema command line util.  I'd be
> interested in a java dtd2schema utility if you know of one.

I don't know of a free/open tool that works to convert dtds to schemas.
( I tried several that didn't work for me, including Trang).  XmlSpy
seems to do an excellent job if you have windows and $$.

What I did was to write code using xmlbeans that reads a document
conforming (hopefully) to a dtd and modifies it to conform to a schema.
  This means at least adding namespace declarations to every element:
for ejb 2.0 to 2.1 some of the MDB descriptors have to be rewritten as
the 2.1 format is only vaguely related to the 2.0 format.

I'd like an XmlSpy owner to convert all the dtds for me so I can check
if there are other inconsistencies I didn't see by comparing the dtd
with the schema, which seems like an error-prone process.

thanks
david jencks