geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <aok...@bellsouth.net>
Subject Re: Integrating Spring into Geronimo
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2004 21:58:33 GMT
On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 15:09, Colin Sampaleanu wrote:
> This is seriously cool!

Oh yeah!

> jastrachan@mac.com wrote:
>
> > Dion let the cat out of the bag...
> >
> > http://www.almaer.com/blog/archives/000246.html
> >
> > Basically we've a GBean for Geronimo so that any existing spring XML
> > config file can be slurped up & turned into beans and managed in a JSR
> > 77/88 way & hot deployed - so Geronimo can hot deploy arbitrary Spring
> > containers within the core J2EE container - all managed in the same
> > stack as web apps, web containers, EJB containers etc. We should also
> > be able to JMX-ifiy all the beans as they are created into the JSR
> > 77/88 management stack.

<snip/>

> > Going forward we should be able to further increase the functionality
> > of the SpringGBean to closer integrate the two projects so that the
> > Spring POJOs can take better, more efficient & easier use of the J2EE
> > services in Geronimo (transactions, security, remoting, pooling,
> > clustering etc).

That would really be worth while because then these components need not
roll their own redundant utilities like thread pools etcetera.  If these
and other services that are already part of Geronimo's scaffolding could
be accessible to the spring components then that would be most
wonderful.

Just as a feeler how far off is all this from being mature and
available?

Alex