geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "hbaxmann" <hol...@bitwind.org>
Subject AW: Which classloader should be used by LoginContext when loading modules?
Date Sat, 05 Jun 2004 18:13:45 GMT
> > However, the connector could be configured to use a LoginModule
> defined
> > by a child configuration, or by a niece (child of sibling
> > configuration). In that case, the LoginContext will not be able to
> > locate the module and authentication will fail.
> >
> > This may not be common for JMX but I think it is likely for
> EJBs, EARs
> > etc. that LoginModules could be deployed with the
> application and so
> > would be located in a child classloader.
> >
> > Do we want to allow this or is it too much of a security hole?
>
> I don't see how it could be a security hole.  If you can
> start a configuration, then you can pretty much do anything
> you want, no?  Or are we saying that there are scenarios
> where untrusted clients can start a Geronimo server which has
> been configured by a trusted admin and stored on a trusted
> configuration server?

This is excatly a scenario for which I would provide the secure pot: to
heave the security border more up the levels, inside the server, so we are
not dependend on operating system security. Yes, one may have secure islands
inside a unsecure architecture with unsecure components inside. Makes
additional/subtractive permissions necessary.

'Java Secure Execution Framework' JSEF is my current rule of thumb.

http://www.infosys.tuwien.ac.at/jsef/

OTOH, JSEF could handle this 'on-behalf-of' issue by configuration.

bax