geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Brendan W.McAdams <bmcad...@sluggy.com>
Subject Re: Thread Management / ClockDaemon
Date Tue, 18 May 2004 21:51:06 GMT
On this token, talking to Alan Cabrera and Jeremy Boynes on Freenode,
the question came up about why not just use java.util.Timer; having
looked at it java.util.Timer under 1.4 (We just moved to 1.4 at work
from 1.3 so i'm still not up to speed on the API changes - I hadn't
realised how much Timer had changed) it certainly is a closer
functional match for the needs of EJB timers [clockdaemon provides no
way to check next execution time].

One obvious benefit to ClockDaemon is it's ThreadPool is configurable
and conceivably Geronimo could set one that it can control, however
ClockPool currently isn't giving it a managed ThreadPool, and
java.util.Timer as long as EJBTimerService only uses a signle instance,
will only use one thread which can be 'controlled' from
EJBTimerService.

For the time being, pending peer review I'm going to give this some
effort with java.util.Timer as the backing timer until we can come up
with something better.

-Brendan