geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Francois LETELLIER <francois.letell...@objectweb.org>
Subject Re: purpose of Geronimo ?
Date Tue, 18 May 2004 16:38:14 GMT
At 21:39 12/05/2004, David Blevins wrote:

>On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 11:07:23AM -0400, Mark D. Hansen wrote:
> > Why is Apache creating Geromino when JBoss provides an open source
> > J2EE container?  Is it because some developers object to the license
> > that JBoss uses?  Or is it because the Geronimo developers feel they
> > can provide a better J2EE implemenation than JBoss?  Both?  Neither?
>
>Did you know that five of the committers originated from the OpenEJB
>project?  This includes both project founders, Richard Monson-Haefel and
>myself.  Did you know the founders of Jetty are also founding members of
>this project?  The leader of Mx4j also.  Castor JDO.  The list goes on and on.
>
>Why should any of us have to justify our existence now, after having
>played in the open source J2EE world for as long as JBoss?  Why is it that
>when Apache opens their doors to us and provides a place where we can
>finally collaborate, people call "foul" as if collaboration is a dirty
>word in open source?

Actually collaboration is a pretty nice word as examplified by the
collaboration between Geronimo and JOnAS !

Right after the announcement of the Geronimo initiative, when it was still
mostly an idea, in last August, the JOnAS team pointed out that there was
already an (6 year old) open-source J2EE appserv, backed by a
non-for-profit organization (as opposed to a for-profit business). Some
time later, JOnAS and Geronimo developers met and agreed on working
together. AFAIK, JOnAS embeds a couple of Apache components (Axis, Tomcat),
and Geronimo uses a couple of ObjectWeb components too (ASM, JOTM). Some
people contribute to both projects.

>Exactly what is the injustice here and exactly when did our years of work
>suddenly become about JBoss?
>
>--
>David Blevins
>A Founder of Geronimo
>Co-Founder of OpenEJB

François LETELLIER
INRIA Rhône-Alpes - ObjectWeb Consortium Executive Committee
email: francois.letellier at objectweb.org - phone: +33 (0)6 84 64 00 24
http://www.objectweb.org - ObjectWeb middleware : provide your applications
with the kind of freedom they deserve !