geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: [OT] coding with IntelliJ
Date Fri, 28 May 2004 15:32:51 GMT
On May 28, 2004, at 4:12 AM, Eric Le Goff wrote:

> I know I am off topic but as I am evaluating IntelliJ IDEA right now,
> I would like to know how to set it up for Geronimo Project
> (multi-module project ?, setting Paths ? compile/run/ debug ?).
>
> I could not find any answer at
> http://wiki.apache.org/geronimo/FrequentlyAskedQuestions as chapter
> 4.4.1 is empty ;)
>
> Any tips & tricks ?

I recently switched to intellij 4.  It took me a very long time to
setup, but works pretty good now (I liked intellij3 better).  Here is
what I remember doing:

1) Build geronimo... this will cause maven to download the dependency
jars and create the output directories.

2) Create your project... a multi-module project

3) Add each module under the modules and applications as a separate
module.  Also add spec/schema, but it is not necessary to add the rest
as they should never change.  Use the following src mappings (not all
modules have these)
     src/java --> target/classes
     src/test --> target/test-classes

4) Now the really long part... for each module you need to add the
libraries listed in the project.xml file.  The libraries will be in
your maven repository.  I add them as global libraries.  Also as you do
this, setup the inner module dependencies.  These are also listed in
the project.xml file.  This step does take forever.

5) Build in intellij... fix the setup bugs.... build.... fix....
build....

As for tips and tricks, make sure to setup the code formating.  A big
one is imports, use the following order:
    java
    javax
    <blank line>
    <all other imports>

We tend not to wrap.  I like to force braces. I also setup templates to
automatically add the license header, and a live template to easily
declare a log entry. Oh under General options turn off the option
"Synchronized files on frame activation"; Geronimo is huge and this can
take a very long time (you will have to do this manually if you change
files externally).

Good luck,

-dain