geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: purpose of Geronimo ?
Date Wed, 12 May 2004 19:39:28 GMT
On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 11:07:23AM -0400, Mark D. Hansen wrote:
> Why is Apache creating Geromino when JBoss provides an open source
> J2EE container?  Is it because some developers object to the license
> that JBoss uses?  Or is it because the Geronimo developers feel they
> can provide a better J2EE implemenation than JBoss?  Both?  Neither?

Did you know that five of the committers originated from the OpenEJB project?  This includes
both project founders, Richard Monson-Haefel and myself.  Did you know the founders of Jetty
are also founding members of this project?  The leader of Mx4j also.  Castor JDO.  The list
goes on and on.

Why should any of us have to justify our existence now, after having played in the open source
J2EE world for as long as JBoss?  Why is it that when Apache opens their doors to us and provides
a place where we can finally collaborate, people call "foul" as if collaboration is a dirty
word in open source?

Exactly what is the injustice here and exactly when did our years of work suddenly become
about JBoss?

--
David Blevins
A Founder of Geronimo