geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: equals() for MCF
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 04:58:04 GMT
I've spent quite a bit of time over the last few years wondering just
what they were thinking of with this requirement.

I think the situation they are trying to cover is that if you serialize
and serialize a managed connection factory, the result should be
.equals to what you started with.  This is not necessary with Geronimo
but seems to be what they are suggesting as far as looking up a
connection factory in jndi.

The mutable properties problem is indeed a problem.  I've always
figured that if I changed the values the new and old mcfs would not be
equal.  I'd prefer it if the spec included a lifecycle so the mcf could
object if you changed the properties, or some kind of "freeze" method.

However, the spec also kind of implies that all the properties are set
during deployment and not changed thereafter, so I think it is pretty
much a theoretical problem.

david jencks