geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From jastrac...@mac.com
Subject Re: Release this week
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2004 12:17:41 GMT
On 21 Apr 2004, at 12:16, David Blevins wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:35:16AM +0100, jastrachan@mac.com wrote:
>> On 21 Apr 2004, at 03:47, David Blevins wrote:
>>> Maybe at some point later, I can find an easy way to use the cvs
>>> commit messages as the release notes.
>>
>> Maybe we should install JIRA?
>>
>> I've found on other projects that as issues come up, bugs are found or
>> things need to be fixed, you enter an issue into JIRA using it as
>> todo-list and bug tracker - then it generates auto-release notes for
>> you...
>>
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?
>> id=10242&report=changelog
>
> That's really cool.  Do you know if that report can be exported as xml?

Yes it can. I seem to remember someone styling it into a report.

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
view=rss&pid=10242&fixfor=10243&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/
order=DESC&tempMax=25&reset=true

there are various reports - e.g. excel / bulk view etc.

http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?
reset=true&pid=10242&fixfor=10243

>> plus then you get a road map to see what needs to be fixed before the
>> next release...
>>
>> http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?
>> id=10242&report=roadmap
>>
>> and you can tie in the issue ID to the CVS commit too if you want
>>

> We were doing exactly this on OpenEJB for some time.
>
> Alan Cabrera wrote a few stylesheets to generate release notes, change
> log, and a release download page from an xml file.  I got sick of
> creating the xml file by hand, so I wrote a program to screen-scrape
> our sf.net trackers and spit out the required xml.
>
> That's how this page was created:
>
>  http://www.openejb.org/download.html
>
> Once we got that all setup, we became very strict about using the
> trackers and putting the item ID in cvs commit messages (mostly to
> make sure people where using the tracker).
>
> At some point later I also wrote a stylesheet to take the same xml
> file and spit out a list of items that were scheduled for the next
> release grouped by "open" and "closed" status.
>
> Eventually sf.net changed their html enough to kill my screen-scraping
> and it all broke.  It was really really nice while it lasted though.

I know the feeling. I'm now hooked on JIRA.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/