geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <da...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: equals() for MCF
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:47:41 GMT

On Friday, April 30, 2004, at 07:25 AM, Jeremy Boynes wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>
>> I think the situation they are trying to cover is that if you
>> serialize and serialize a managed connection factory, the result
>> should be .equals to what you started with.  This is not necessary
>> with Geronimo but seems to be what they are suggesting as far as
>> looking up a connection factory in jndi.
>
> I can see that for a CF given components typically get them from JNDI;
> it seems odd to me that this is a requirement for an MCF given the
> only thing that uses them direclty is the connection manager.

remember that the cf is serializable and contains a reference to the
mcf, which it  uses in the cm allocateConnection call.

>> The mutable properties problem is indeed a problem.  I've always
>> figured that if I changed the values the new and old mcfs would not
>> be equal.  I'd prefer it if the spec included a lifecycle so the mcf
>> could object if you changed the properties, or some kind of "freeze"
>> method.
>> However, the spec also kind of implies that all the properties are
>> set during deployment and not changed thereafter, so I think it is
>> pretty much a theoretical problem.
>
> I hope this isn't true - I would like to be able to set properties
> such as connection timeout, statement cache size, maybe password
> without redeploying.
>
> Now those don't identify the backend, but others like server name
> probably do and I can think of use cases where those might need to be
> changed (e.g. server name during some failover reconfig).

I think changing what you are connecting to should be a redeployment.
What I'd like is that the redeployment does not result in down time,
but I haven't figured out how to do this yet.

david