geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Boynes <jer...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: equals() for MCF
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2004 14:25:00 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> I think the situation they are trying to cover is that if you serialize
> and serialize a managed connection factory, the result should be .equals
> to what you started with.  This is not necessary with Geronimo but seems
> to be what they are suggesting as far as looking up a connection factory
> in jndi.

I can see that for a CF given components typically get them from JNDI;
it seems odd to me that this is a requirement for an MCF given the only
thing that uses them direclty is the connection manager.

> The mutable properties problem is indeed a problem.  I've always figured
> that if I changed the values the new and old mcfs would not be equal.
> I'd prefer it if the spec included a lifecycle so the mcf could object
> if you changed the properties, or some kind of "freeze" method.
>
> However, the spec also kind of implies that all the properties are set
> during deployment and not changed thereafter, so I think it is pretty
> much a theoretical problem.

I hope this isn't true - I would like to be able to set properties such
as connection timeout, statement cache size, maybe password without
redeploying.

Now those don't identify the backend, but others like server name
probably do and I can think of use cases where those might need to be
changed (e.g. server name during some failover reconfig).

--
Jeremy