geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Adam Fowler <Adam.Fow...@ideagen.co.uk>
Subject RE: WIKI user section...
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:07:48 GMT
OK I'll start:-

Project questions:

1. What is Geronimo?
 - The usual as on geronimo incubator page
2. Why should I use Geronimo instead of A.N.Other-AppServer?
 - full compliance etc.
3. Why does geronimo exist?
 - motivation behind original developers
4. Can my company use Geronimo? Are there any restrictions?
 - Usual apache license stuff
5. How is Geronimo designed? Do I need to learn lots of custom config stuff?
 - Abstraction between service providers and config files perhaps
 - Easy config steps (See my addition to WishList, no.20)

Admin questions:

1. How do I get started installing Geronimo?
 - i.e. from pre-built download .tar.gz eventually(?)
2. How do I add additional services such as Tomcat/OpenEJB/OpenJMS etc.?
3. What services does Geronimo come with built in?
 - Misleading at the moment I know. Any thoughts on what will be included
eventually to provide Servlet/EJB/JMS/OtherAPIHere? And can we/are we
distributing them?
4. How can I implement Security constaints/roles/authorisation?
5. Are there any steps I need to do to make Geronimo more secure?
 - Akin to disable access to 8080 in Tomcat, but for Geronimo stuff

App developer/deployer questions:

1. Are there any special config steps I'm likely to need, and how do I do
them?
 - Thinking CMP config, JMS config etc. here
2. I have an EAR file, how do I deploy it?

Geronimo developer questions (for separate FAQ?):

1. How do I get involved etc. (and for others currently on Geronimo
incubator page)
2. How do I get the latest version? -> BuildingAndRunning
3. I want to create an installation binary for MyFaveOS, any advice?
 - env vars
 - contributing binaries/installers to project
4. What on Earth is a GBean? Why are they different from MBeans?

Hope that's a good enough start!?! 8o)

Adam.